Mini Apple Fritter Waffles (gluten free and paleo)
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 mini waffles
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup cassava flour (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder (I like THIS corn free brand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk of any kind
- 1/4 cup ghee, butter, or coconut oil – melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup apples, peeled and chopped into small 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (I use THIS brand)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (like this)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 3 hours and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons HOT water
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine cassava flour, arrowroot, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, melted fat, and maple syrup. Once waffle iron is hot, add dry to wet and toss in apple pieces. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Liberally brush melted butter/ghee on waffle maker. To make mini waffles, drop 1-2 tablespoon sized scoops of mixture in different areas of hot waffle griddle. I can fit 4 on my regular sized AllClad waffle maker. Each waffle maker will vary. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- TO MAKE GLAZE: Combine coconut butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a small pot on low heat. Stir until creamy smooth and melted. Add melted mixture, drained cashews, vanilla, and salt to high speed blender. Add 3 tablespoons of HOT water and process until creamy smooth. If necessary, thin with an additional tablespoon of water to get desired glaze consistency.
- Spoon a bit of glaze onto mini apple fritter waffle and allow excess to drain back into bowl. Repeat until all waffles are glazed. Enjoy!
- Baking powders traditionally have GMO corn in them. You can find a corn free brand HERE, I prefer to make my own: 1 part baking soda, 2 parts cream of tartar, and 2 parts arrowroot powder.
- If mini waffles aren’t your thing, you can totally make regular sized waffles with this recipe. You will get 3-4 regular waffles.
- If the glaze is not your jam, you can make a simple cinnamon sugar to make these mini apple fritter waffles even more fabulous: 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar (or any dry sugar you have) plus 1 tsp cinnamon powder.