- one bunch of kale (I prefer the Lacinato/Dino variety)
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil (where to buy good quality, organic olive oil)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (I use THIS brand)
For Dairy Free Parmesan:
- 1/2 cup raw cashew
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (like this)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 6 anchovy filets (I use these)
- 2 cloves garlic
- several grinds of fresh black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil OR avocado oil
- pomegranate seeds
- Remove hard stem from leaves of kale and place leaves on top of each other. Roll into a tight cigar-looking tube and slice in thin ribbons.
- Place kale ribbons into large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and salt. Massage the kale for about 2 minutes. It should start to turn a rich, greener color. Set aside.
- To make dairy free parmesan: Process cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt in a food processor until you have a coarse, even consistency- like crumbly parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- To make dressing, combine all dressing ingredients except olive/avocado oil into a food processor and process until smooth. With the food processor running, VERY slowly pour the 1/2 cup of oil through the hole in the top of the processor. A very slow pour is the trick to a thick and creamy dressing.
- To assemble kale caesar: Toss massaged kale with desired amount of dressing. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and dairy free parmesan. Enjoy!