Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos are full of flavor, moist and juicy, and require only 15 minutes of cooking on high pressure. Easy weeknight meal.
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (I use a mix of breasts and thighs)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning (homemade recipe below and my FAV brand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup bone broth
- juice from one lime
CILATRO LIME CABBAGE SLAW
- 2 cups shredded or thinly sliced cabbage (I like a mix of green and purple)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- your favorite taco shells (I use Siete gluten and grain free tortillas)
- Press SAUTE on Instant Pot and add one tablespoon of fat. Saute onions for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Turn IP off.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning and salt. Add to IP. Pour in 3/4 cup bone broth and juice from one lime.
- Close lid and press MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK on newer models) and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes.
- Turn the knob to quick release and once steam has escaped, open lid. Shred chicken with 2 forks right in IP if you like juicy shredded chicken. If you prefer dryer shredded chicken, remove chicken from IP with slotted spoon and place into large bowl. Shred with 2 forks and turn IP to SAUTE and allow liquid inside IP to reduce for 3-4 minutes. Add shredded chicken back into IP and mix.
- To make cilantro lime cabbage slaw, combine slaw ingredients in a bowl and mix. Slaw can be made a day or two ahead of time.
- To assemble tacos, gather your favorite taco shells and whatever fixings you like. My favorite toppings are Cilantro Lime Cabbage Slaw and avocado.
Homemade taco seasoning recipe: 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt.
Instant Pot will take 5-8 minutes to come to full pressure before it starts the timer, so actual cooking time is closer to 20 minutes.
Slow cooker directions: Place ingredients into slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. You will have to saute onions and garlic on stove top if you want them cooked beforehand