Tender, juicy salsa verde chicken + sweet potatoes + a scoop of avocado = a delicious and hearty meal meal the whole family will love. And so easy to prep ahead of time.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (thighs or breasts)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups salsa verde
- salt to taste
- FOR GARNISH: avocado, lime, and fresh cilantro
- Cook sweet potatoes until tender either by baking in oven or in Instant Pot (see directions below).
- To cook salsa verde chicken: place chicken in Instant Pot and sprinkle with cumin and garlic powder. Pour salsa verde on top. Cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once time is up, quick release and remove chicken, place into large bowl, and shred using two forks. Add shredded chicken back into sauce. If you prefer a less saucy shredded chicken, after you remove chicken from IP to shred, turn IP onto SAUTE mode and cook for 5 minutes to reduce sauce. Salt to taste.
- To assemble, slice each cooked sweet potato in half and scoop salsa verde chicken into center. Mash avocado with lime and pinch of salt and scoop on top. Add fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Be sure to read labels on your salsa verde as some brands contain sugar, cornstarch, and canola oil.
To bake sweet potatoes in the oven: Preheat oven to 425’F. Wash and dry sweet potatoes and prick each one with a fork several times. Place on the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 45 mins – 1 hour or until soft.
To cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot: Wash sweet potatoes and place on top of trivet in Instant Pot. Pour in one cup of water. Cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes for small sweet potatoes and 20 minutes for medium sweet potatoes. Once time is up, quick release the pressure and remove sweet potatoes.