Hearty winter squash and savory lentils flavored with Herbes de Provence make this easy Instant Pot soup comforting, filling and cozy. Perfect for a chilly evening meal. Gluten free with a vegan option.
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed and drained (like this)
- 8 cups broth (vegetable, homemade bone broth, or Kettle and Fire)
- 2 tsp Herbes de Provence (like this)
- 3 packed cups of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE and melt fat of choice. Saute onions until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Turn off IP.
- Add in butternut squash, carrots, lentils, broth, and Herbes de Provence. Lock lid on IP and turn the vent valve to “sealing.” Cook on HIGH pressure for 18 minutes then quick release the pressure. Turn off IP.
- Remove 3-4 cups of soup, puree in blender, and add back to pot and stir to combine. Add in chopped kale and parsley, and close lid to let kale wilt and soften for a bit. Then salt and pepper to taste. For an added optional burst of flavor, add in a bit of fresh lemon juice. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Method: Place all ingredients (except for kale, parsley, salt and pepper, and lemon) into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Follow the same blending instructions and then add kale, parsley, salt and pepper, and optional lemon.
For faster cook time, feel free to skip step one and simply add onions and garlic into IP with the rest of the ingredients.