- one bottle of red wine
- 1 and 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup dried elderberries (like these)
- juice from one large orange
- zest from one orange
- 1 cinnamon stick (like this)
- 2 whole star anise (like this)
- 3 whole cardamom pods (like these), lightly crushed
- 4 whole cloves (I use these)
- 1 vanilla pod (like this), cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup RAW honey (I use this one)
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- cinnamon sticks
- orange zest strips
- Bring everything EXCEPT red wine and honey to a boil in a medium pot. Turn heat down a bit , and continue to simmer for 10 minutes to completely infuse flavors.
- In a larger pot, GENTLY warm up red wine and honey. Add simmered spice/berry mixture and allow to warm for at least 15 minutes to meld all those delicious flavors. Do not over heat as this will cook away the alcohol of the wine.
- Strain with a fine mesh sieve and serve. Garnish with cinnamon sticks or strips of orange zest, if desired. Enjoy!