FOR CHIA BERRY JAM:
- 1 and 1/2 cups berries, fresh or frozen (defrost if frozen)
- 2 TBS raw honey or real maple syrup
- 2 tsp chia seeds (like these)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
FOR COOKIE DOUGH:
To make chia berry jam:
- Bring berries and sweetener of choice to a low simmer in a small pan. Once the berries release their liquid, add chia seeds. Continue to simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350′ F.
- Combine egg, coconut oil, sweetener of choice, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add almond flour in slowly and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper OR a silicone baking mat.
- Using your thumb, create a little indentation in each cookie ball. Spoon and small amount of chia berry jam onto each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to baking rack to cook completely.
BAKER’S TIP: I like to make the chia berry jam the night before. The consistency is best when it has had time to cool and set. This jam is absolutely delicious. You can use any leftover jam on pancakes, muffins, or just to eat by the spoonful.