OK… so these are not really sweet potato bars. They are actually made with yams (there is a difference.) But saying sweet potato sounds so much more appetizing, doesn’t it?? If you’ve been reading my posts, you know that I am really into super foods. Food that are nutrient-dense and full of goodness. Yams fall into that category. Yams are high in vitamin B6 (lowering risk for heart disease), potassium (good for controlling blood pressure), diosgenins (to help with menstrual symptoms/menopause), complex carbohydrates (slowing down the release of sugars into bloodstream), and fiber (helping you feel full and satiated.) And they taste good. I try to eat them often. So I decided to make a grain-free snack/dessert with them.
These bars were adapted from THIS RECIPE. You could also use pumpkin in my recipe , and it will be just as good. These bars are lightly sweetened and make a great, filling snack. Add the drizzle, and it’s dessert. I’m smitten with immune and metabolism boosting coconut butter and oil. I would drizzle it on everything if I could.Print
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup yam puree (steam a chopped yam for 10 minutes and mash with fork)
- 4–6 TBS honey (depending on your sweet tooth) (like this one)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger, dry powder
- Preheat oven to 350′ F
- Lightly grease 8×8 pan with coconut oil
- Place all ingredients in large bowl, and with a hand blender, whip until well combined and smooth
- Pour mixture into greased pan, smoothing out the top with back of spoon or spatula
- Bake 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm
- Melt coconut butter and oil together
- Remove from heat and add rest of ingredients
- Blend with hand blender until creamy-smooth
- Drizzle onto bars as desired
- For a thicker, frosting-like glaze, let cool slightly. The mixture will thicken nicely.
- Store extra drizzle in fridge. It will need to be reheated to soften. Easiest way is to set in toaster oven for 3-4 minutes
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.