Do you miss bread? I totally get it. That’s why I am sharing with you my recipe for grain free focaccia bread today. No grains. No gluten. No nuts.
My favorite thing about eating a real food diet is the fact that my diet consists of all fresh foods. I eat mostly grass fed and pastured meats, pastured, local eggs, and tons of organic, local veggies. I also enjoy a moderate amount of fresh seasonal fruits. Luckily, here in Northern California we have access to so much wonderful, local foods. I feel truly blessed.
But then there are times when I just want to eat some bread. Know what I mean? It just has to happen!
Last night I made Pesto Chicken with Zucchini Noodles. It’s one of my favorite summer time meals. Fresh basil, juicy cherry tomatoes, and fun and fabulous zucchini noodles made with my spiralizer. And I was just in the mood for some bread.
You may have seen my Grain Free Rosemary Garlic Flatbread recipe last week. It has become a family favorite. I adapted the recipe slightly to make a more fluffy version that tasted just like real focaccia bread. Oh, yeah!
I made it in a preheated 10 inch cast iron skillet, and it turned out perfectly. Crunchy on the outside and fluffy and moist on the inside. I know that focaccia bread is traditionally made with olive oil but I’m not down with heating my olive oil. You can read my post on 5 Reasons to Stop Cooking with Olive Oil to find out why. I used ghee instead. And it was good! You could definitely use butter if that’s what you have. I used my olive oil to garnish the focaccia after it was done.
You can serve this bread as is to compliment any savory meal. Or try slicing it horizontally and using it as sandwich bread. I put avocado, tomato, salami, and homemade mayo in mine yesterday. WHOA! So good!
I hope you enjoy it. I’m off to play in the sunshine. Both of my kids have been home all summer, and I am taking the time to just enjoy them. Not blogging as much as I usually do, but such as life. I will never get this time back with my girls.
Grain Free Focaccia Bread
- 1 cup tapioca flour (like this)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (like this), sifted
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt (like this)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- 2 TBS finely chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, etc.)
- 1 TBS ghee for skillet (I use this one)
- olive oil and salt for garnish
- Place 10″ cast iron skillet in to oven and preheat to 400′ F.
- Combine tapioca flour, coconut flour, nutritional yeast, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, and melted ghee. Add chopped herbs and mix again. Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated.
- CAREFULLY remove skillet from oven and drop 1 TBS of ghee into hot bottom of pan and swirl to cover. Pour bread mixture into pan and give pan a little shake to level it out.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, until top of bread is golden and bread is pulling away from sides of skillet.
- Drizzle liberally with olive oil and unrefined salt before serving. Enjoy!