Cheese Bread! Need I say more. You are going to LOVE this Grain Free Brazilian Cheese Bread recipe!
Last week, I told you guys about my Sunday Farmer’s Market ritual. I mentioned the Brazilian Cheese Bread that my Little One loves. It got me thinking about those light, fluffy, chewy balls of goodness and decided to share the recipe with all of you bread lovers out there.
Brazilian Cheese Bread (also called Pao de Queijo) is a small, baked, cheese-flavored roll popular in Brazil. Being made from tapioca flour, they are naturally grain and gluten free. They can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or savory little snacks. They make excellent tiny little mini sandwiches. Oh, and they are especially delicious steaming hot out of the oven.
And the best thing is that they are super easy to whip up. You don’t actually have to know how to bake bread to enjoy these savory little cheese puffs. But your family might be seriously impressed if you do.
Feeling creative? The recipe I am sharing is for a basic cheese bread using Parmesan cheese. Feel free to experiment with other cheeses. I love this with Queso Fresco. I have also added fun things like fresh herbs, bacon, olives, and goat cheese.
A note about the milk: You can use any milk of choice for this recipe. Traditionally, it is made with whole cow milk. I have made this recipe with raw cow milk and homemade coconut milk (if using canned, I recommend doing 1/2 cup canned full fat and 1/4 cup water). Feel free to experiment.
So go ahead. Give it a try. Bake them. Eat them. Love them.
- Preheat oven to 425'F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place tapioca flour into a large glass bowl. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring milk, butter/ghee , and salt to a boil and turn off heat. Pour milk mixture over tapioca flour and mix until well incorporated. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes to cool.
- Mix eggs and cheese into dough and mix until uniform. Using a large spoon or measuring spoon drop 1½ to 2 inch balls of mixture onto prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven AND decrease oven temperature to 375'F. Bake until puffy and golden on top, about 22 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.