- Combine pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine turmeric and 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a small pot, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Bring mixture to a very gentle simmer and add another 1/2 cup of water. Continue to stir with wooden spoon.
- Add mixed spices and continue to cook and stir on low for 3 minutes, until you have a thick and smooth paste.
- Turn off heat and add fat of choice. Continue to stir until completely smooth. (I like to use half coconut and half ghee)
- Add optional sweetener while mixture cools.
- Transfer to clean glass jar. Mixture will thicken as it cools. Place lid on jar after mixture has completely cooled. Give a little shake to prevent separation and store in fridge for 2-3 weeks.
The sweetener is totally optional. I think honey is the perfect addition to round out the flavors of this delicious paste. Feel free to omit it if you like. You can still make Golden Milk with it. Just add a titch of sweetener to your spiced milk.
This paste should stay good in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, especially if you use a clean spoon every time you dip into it. I also like to sterilize my jar before using it. To sterilize jar: Preheat oven to 200’F. Place clean glass jar, without lid, on oven shelf for 10 minutes. Turn off oven and put lid on jar and leave in oven to cool.