No bake gingerbread energy balls loaded with all the good things. A healthy snack or treat for the holidays. And just 10 minutes to whip up.
December is here. And that mean holidays, family, cookies, spices, and GINGERBREAD.
I’m kicking off GINGERBREAD season with a simple, healthy, and nutritious recipe that you can feel good about eating. Life can get super full and hectic this time of year, and having some satisfying snacks around can make things a little bit easier.
A while back, I posted a recipe for my Peanut Butter Pumpkin Energy Balls. My family LOVES LOVES them. I don’t usually share many recipes with grains on the blog, but there’s just something so delicious and gratifying about energy balls made with a combo of nut butter and gluten free rolled oats.
What exactly is an energy ball?
An energy ball are easy, portable, no bake snacks filled with good-for-you ingredients to keep you full and nourished. What I love about energy balls is that you can add pretty much whatever makes you happy. I start with a base of nut butter and then just add in whatever I have on hand. I wanted today’s recipe to have a holiday vibe so here’s what I used:
❤️nut butter… I used almond butter, but you can also use cashew butter, sunflower butter, peanut butter, hazelnut butter… you get the idea.
❤️dates…to naturally sweeten and to give a nice chewy texture.
❤️maple syrup…pairs so nicely with the gingerbread flavor.
❤️molasses…to offer a deep, rich, holiday flavor.
❤️spices…like cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, all spice, nutmeg, and clove. Doesn’t that just scream HOLIDAY?
❤️gluten free rolled oats..add a ton of fiber and great texture.
❤️chia seeds…to add a little nutrient-dense boost.
❤️chocolate chips…totally optional but so good!
What you end up with is a super flavorful, perfectly spiced ball of goodness. Think warming spices and rich molasses and chewy oats. And loaded with fiber, about 4 grams of protein each, and tons of minerals to keep you fueled during the busy holiday season.
So whether you’re wanting to make some pre or post workout snacks or just looking for a healthier holiday treat, this recipe is for you. Gingerbread is the theme for the month, and I hope you get to try them out.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
The BEST gingerbread energy balls. Super flavorful, perfectly spiced, and satisfying. The perfect holiday snack or treat. Ready in 10 minutes.
- 1/4 cup dates (4–5 small)
- 1 and 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (like this)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses (like this)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom or allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of clove
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp water
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I use THIS nut and dairy free brand)
- Remove pits from dates and process in food processor until broken into small pieces, about 30 seconds. Add in rolled oats and pulse a few times until oats are broken up a bit. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond butter, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla extract. Add in date/oat mixture, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom (allspice), nutmeg, clove, chia seeds, salt, and two teaspoons of water. Mix to combine. Fold in optional chocolate chips.
- Roll into 20 balls. Using a mini ice cream scoop will help keep them uniform.
- Store in air-tight container in fridge or freezer.
THIS is the ice cream scoop set that use for making balls. I use the smaller of the three.
CLICK HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.