Life around here can get pretty hectic and full. With 2 kids and 2 adults, there is always something going on. Even though we all get busy around here, it is important to me that we still eat REAL, unprocessed foods. And this takes time. Planning ahead a bit and spending a little time prepping food each week saves me a ton of time in the long run. This week, I made a huge batch of Garden Veggie and Herb Meatballs.
Meatballs are an simple way to get nutrient-dense food into your family. They are easy to make, freeze really well, and everyone around here loves them. I like to make a big batch and freeze them for fast dinners later on. It’s awesome to have food ready to go, especially on those days when you just can’t seem to find the time to prepare food.
Meatballs can be made from any meat that you wish. I used local, grass fed beef. We bought part of a cow this year so there is lots of it in the freezer. I highly recommend buying meats that are humanely-raised and pastured.
These meatballs were inspired by the bounty of vegetables and herbs in the garden. Why not add a little bit of vegetables to go with the meat? It’s like having a full meal all in one. I pop a few of these in my mouth right out of the fridge when I am super busy. And they make an excellent on the go snack. My little one happily munched on a few of these today while I shopped for groceries.
Like I said before, these meatballs freeze really well. So feel free to double or triple this recipe. Simply allow meatballs to cool completely, place in freezer single layer on a baking sheet until completely frozen, and then store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- 1 pound ground beef, preferably grass fed and pastured
- 1 and 1/2 cups packed shredded vegetables (I used zucchini, yellow summer squash, and carrot)
- 2 TBS fresh herbs, finely chopped (basil, cilantro, or parsley) ~ I used all 3
- 1/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp HERBAMARE seasoning (I use this one) OR 1 and 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt (like this one)
- 1 egg, whipped
- 2 pinches of celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400’F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place shredded vegetables into a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with 2 pinches of sea salt and mix well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Then place veggies into a clean hand towel and SQUEEZE out all of the moisture in them. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, puree onion and garlic together in a small food processor.
- Combine ground beef, squeezed out veggies, onion/garlic mixture, chopped herbs, herbamare (or plain sea salt), and egg in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until well combined
- Roll into desired sized meatballs and place onto baking sheet
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until brown and cooked all the way through
- Serve immediately OR allow to cool and freeze for later
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.