A lovely fruit tart with an easy to make gluten free crust, a perfect dairy free vanilla pastry cream, and topped with your favorite fruit or berries. (grain free and paleo)
FOR THE VANILLA PASTRY CREAM
- 1 can (15 ounce) full fat coconut milk ( I use THIS BPA free brand)
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 tbsp maple syrup (or honey or coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or tapioca powder (like this or this)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
FOR THE CRUST
- 2 cup blanched almond flour (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil – melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly whipped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh fruit or berries of your choice
- To make vanilla pastry cream, pour coconut milk into medium sauce pan and gently heat until steaming but not boiling. Meanwhile, with a hand blender, whisk together egg yolks and maple syrup on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add arrowroot powder and whisk until well incorporated. Turn hand mixer onto low and VERY slowly (to prevent eggs from cooking) drizzle coconut milk mixture into egg mixture. Go slow or eggs will curdle and cook. Once all coconut milk has been added, return mixture back into saucepan and cook over low/medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon – about 10 minutes. Keep stirring to keep clumps from forming on the bottom. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of fat of choice. Pour pastry cream into large glass bowl and place a round piece of parchment paper directly on the surface (to prevent a skin from forming) and chill for at least 4 hours (or overnight.)
- To make crust, preheat oven to 350’F and liberally grease a 9 inch tart pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, melted fat of choice, maple syrup, egg, and salt until well incorporated. Press mixture evenly into bottom and sides of tart pan. Prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork to prevent puffing up. Bake for 10 minutes, until crust is starting to get golden. Allow to cool completely.
- To assemble fruit tart: pour chilled pastry cream into cooled crust and smooth the top. Add whatever fruit or berries make you happy. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. (Fruit tart is best served within a few hours.)
I love to make pastry cream with full fat coconut milk, but any dairy free milk will work.
I use a 9 inch tart pan, but you could also make this in a pie dish if you don’t have one.