- 1 tbsp ghee, butter, or coconut oil
- 4 cups shredded sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1–2 cloves garlic (crushed) OR 1/4 tsp garlic powder (like this)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ghee, butter, or coconut oil for greasing the waffle maker
- Heat one tablespoon fat of choice in a skillet on medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, salt and garlic. Stir to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of water and saute until sweet potato begins to soften – about 5-6 minutes. Be sure to stir often to ensure even cooking and to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat and scrape into a large bowl. Preheat waffle maker.
- Once waffle maker is hot, add beaten eggs to cooked sweet potatoes. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Liberally brush melted fat on waffle maker. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the mixture onto hot waffle iron. ( Each waffle maker will vary in size.) Press down gently on the mixture with the back of the measuring cup to spread it out a bit. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- To freeze: freeze in single layer or separated by parchment paper. Simply reheat gently in oven or toaster oven.
- I’ve attempted this recipe without cooking the sweet potato first. It does work, but I prefer the texture when I pre-cook it. It also takes much longer to waffle it if the sweet potato is not cooked.