Easy Braised Chicken with Lemons and Olives
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 chicken thighs
- Category: dinner
- Method: braised
- Cuisine: mediterranean
- 4-6 chicken thighs – skin on and bone in
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 large yellow onion , sliced
- 1 lemon – cut into thin slices and seeds removed
- 8 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup good quality broth (homemade bone broth, veggie, or Kettle and Fire)
- 1 cup olives (I used mixed Greek olives)
- juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450’F.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of fat on medium high heat in a skillet or Dutch oven that is big enough to lay chicken thighs in a single layer. Add chicken thighs skin-side down, and DO NOT MOVE them for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is browned and releases from the bottom of the pan. Flip the chicken and toss in garlic cloves. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until garlic cloves soften (do not let them burn.) Remove chicken and garlic from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add lemon slices and thyme sprigs and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice and salt to taste. Nestle in chicken thighs and scatter in olives and garlic cloves. Pour any juices that have released from the chicken over the top.
- Transfer pan to oven, TURN DOWN HEAT to 350’F and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately drizzled in sauce from the pan and your favorite vegetable sides.