- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- FOR MOJO SAUCE
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (like this)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2–3 dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- 2–3 tbsp coconut oil (like this)
- 2 very ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1– 2 habanero peppers, finely chopped
- FOR SALSA
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 3/4 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- juice and zest from one lime
- salt to taste
- salad greens
- Begin by marinading the chicken. Combine all mojo sauce ingredients in a blender and process until well combined. Place chicken pieces into a glass bowl and pour HALF of the marinade on top. Cover and allow to marinate for several hours. Reserve the rest of the mojo sauce for later.
- Tp prepare plantains: melt coconut oil in a large skillet, enough to liberally cover the bottom. Toss in the chopped habanero pepper and swirl around to flavor the oil. Cook plantain rounds until golden and beginning to brown on each side. Remove from pan and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- While the plantains cook, prepare the salsa by combining all salsa ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently to combine.
- Once plantains and salsa are done, simply wipe out the pan for the plantains and heat to medium high heat. Pour in marinated chicken (sauce and all) and cook for 5-7 minutes, until chicken is cooked all the way through and sauce is reduced.
- To assemble chicken bowl, place a nice handful of salad greens into bowl. Add cooked chicken and plantains. Top with salsa. Use leftover mojo sauce for salad dressing and for extra flavor.