- 2 tbsp ghee or avocado oil, divided (use avocado oil for dairy free)
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 and 1/4 cup small tomatoes, sliced into thin slices
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, minced + extra for garnish
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Liberally grease a pie dish or quiche pan.
- In a large skillet, melt one tablespoon of fat of choice over medium-high heat. Arrange zucchini rounds in a single layer in bottom of skillet and cook until starting to brown . Flip zucchini rounds and cook on other side. Remove from pan.
- Lower heat to medium, add remaining one tablespoon of fat and cook onions until translucent and beginning to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add baby spinach and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Spread onion/spinach mixture evenly onto bottom of greased quiche pan. Layer cooked zucchini rounds and tomato slices on top- reserving a handful of each for the top. Sprinkle on minced fresh basil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, dairy free milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over top of vegetables in quiche pan. Give a little shake to settle. Top with remaining zucchini rounds and tomato slices.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until center is set. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges. Garnish with fresh basil.
When cooking the zucchini rounds, I like to use medium-high heat to create a nice browning without over cooking the zucchini. The browning adds a nice flavor and gives a dramatic look.