- 5–6 slices bacon (sugar free bacon for Whole30 compliant)
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil for completely dairy free
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of homemade broth (find recipe HERE)
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes, diced small (about 4 cups)
- 1 bay leaf (like this)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme (like this)
- 1/4 tsp dried dill (like this)
- 2 cups thinly sliced kale, tough ribs removed (I used Dino kale)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (where to get BPA free coconut milk)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until well done and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of fat of choice (butter/ghee/coconut oil) in a large pot. Add onions and cook until translucent and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add broth, sweet potato, bay leaf, thyme, and dill. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered) until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in sliced kale and cook until wilted and bright green. Add in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped crispy bacon and parsley.