The CREAMIEST pumpkin custard EVER. It’s nutrient-dense, sweet, and perfectly spiced. The perfect fall time dessert. Gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line large baking dish with a small towel – this prevents ramekins from sliding around. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until steamy and hot but not boiling. Turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla. When coconut milk is HOT, very slowly whisk HALF of coconut milk mixture into egg mixture (go slow to prevent eggs from cooking.)
- Pour the warm pumpkin mixture into saucepan with the remaining coconut milk and stir with a wooden spoon over LOW heat until thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon – about 5 minutes.
- Pour custard mixture into small ramekins and place into prepared baking dish. Pour boiling water into the large baking dish until it reaches halfway up the ramekins. Carefully transfer into pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean but center is still slightly jiggly. Allow to cool completely on wire rack then cover and transfer to fridge to chill for a few hours. Can be eaten warm, but best flavor comes from eating it chilled. Top with optional whipped coconut cream if desired.
I like Primal Palate Pumpkin Pie Spice or you can make your own: 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon all spice, and 1/8 teaspoon clove powder.
This recipe makes 6-8 servings, depending on the size of ramekins you use: 6 oz. ramekins = 6 servings and 4 oz. ramekins = 8 servings.
You may need to use 2 large baking dishes for hot water baths if using 8 ramekins.
Plastic free tip: skip the plastic wrap when covering your custard. Simply place ramekins on top shelf of your fridge and place a metal cookie sheet over the top of all of them. No plastic waste necessary. ??♻️