- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 TBS butter, ghee (like this), or coconut oil (like this)
- 1 pound ground meat
- 4 strips of precooked bacon
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt (I use this one)
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (like this)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (like this one)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1 TBS butter, ghee, or coconut oil for cooking burgers
- 1 avocado
- lime juice
- unrefined sea salt
- a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- lettuce for garnish
TO MAKE CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- Melt the ghee, butter, or coconut oil on medium heat. Add onion rounds and saute slowly until golden brown. Push the onions around a bit to make sure they cook evenly. You can add a tablespoon of water if they begin to stick to pan. Mine usually take 20-25 minutes.
- Mash together avocado, lime, and salt in a small bowl. Add optional hot sauce for some heat. Set aside.
- Combine ground meat, chopped bacon, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. Mix to combine. Form into 9 small patties.
- Heat 1 TBS of fat of choice in skillet on medium to medium high heat. Cook patties 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked the way you like it.
- Serve over a bed of fresh lettuce. Top with caramelized onions and avocado.