When it comes to eating salads, I have come to realize something about myself: I like the salad fixings more than I like the actual lettuce. So lately when I have been making salad, I just pile on the salad toppings and call it good. This is what I made today for lunch: Chicken Salad with Citrus, Avocado, and Beets.
Meet my new favorite salad.
After discovering that lettuce is not the most important part of a salad, I have begun experimenting with making more creative salads. I’m pretty much obsessed with grapefruit flavored anything, so of course I added it to my salad today. Avocados are a must, so that is a no brainer. Did you know that in order to absorb many of the nutrients in your veggies, you need a good amount of fat to go along with your meal? Read more about that HERE.
And who doesn’t love beets? The sweet earthy flavor of red and golden beets makes me happy.
Add some leftover chicken and a white wine ginger vinaigrette and you have a gourmet salad all ready to go. My family was impressed with this little creation.
Salads do not have to be boring. It’s fun to add creative flavors to make life more interesting. I often use a combination of cooked and raw vegetables in my salads. Lots of healthy fats and good quality protein helps keep me full and satisfied for hours. I’m not the kind of person who can exist on just plain raw veggies for a meal. You will find me ransacking the fridge a half hour later looking for REAL food to eat.
For this recipe, I often make the beets the day before. Once completely cooled, they peel easily with a sharp knife. I often make extra as beets make a colorful and nutritious addition to any meal. Oh, and when you taste the pickled onions that I add, you will want to add them to everything that you eat. They are that good.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.Print
- 3 small beets (red or golden)
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin rounds
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 TBS apple cider vinegar (like this)
- 3 cups sunflower sprouts OR arugula
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1 small grapefruit, peeled and separated into segments
- one avocado, chopped or sliced
FOR THE DRESSING:
- Preheat oven to 400’F. Wash and trim beets. Place in an oven safe baking dish, cover, and bake until tender, about 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cool, peel and slice into thin rounds.
- Place red onion rings into a small colander in the sink. Pour the boiling water over onions and drain. Place into small bowl, add apple cider vinegar, and give it a good mix. Set aside.
- Process all dressing ingredients in a blender until well combined. Set aside.
- To assemble salad: place sunflower sprouts (or arugula) in center of plate. Top with chopped chicken. Arrange sliced beets, vinegar-soaked onions, grapefruit slices and avocado in any way that make you happy. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.