- one medium butternut squash (about 3.5 pounds)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, with peel still on
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee (like this)
- 1 cup homemade bone broth (here’s my recipe)
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA-free coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika (like this)
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt (I use THIS brand)
- several grinds of fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 400’F.
- Peel butternut squash with a vegetable peeler, and cut in have lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and chop into 2 inch cubes. Place into a large bowl with unpeeled garlic cloves and drizzle on fat of choice. Sprinkle in chopped rosemary. Toss to evenly coat.
- Bake on a large baking sheet for 20 minutes, then flip with a spatula. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove peels from garlic cloves.
- In a large blender, process roasted butternut squash, peeled garlic, broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt and pepper until creamy smooth. Add water or broth one tablespoon at a time
- to thin if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Store in airtight glass jar until ready to use – for up to a week. Gently warm up in a small pot.
If you do not have fresh rosemary, you simply add 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary to the blender when pureeing this sauce.