The easiest ice cream cake with a rich + chocolatey brownie bottom, 2 layers of your favorite ice cream flavors, and a pillowy layer of whipped cream, all topped with fresh berries + chocolate shavings. Gluten free with a dairy free option.
FOR BROWNIE LAYER
- 1 cup almond flour (I use THIS blanched brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder, tapioca flour OR oat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (I use THIS)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee OR coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp milk of any kind (I use THIS)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR ICE CREAM LAYERS
- 2 pints of your favorite ice cream (I used vanilla + strawberry)
- whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- fresh blueberries
- chocolate bar for chocolate shavings (see how to make HERE)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Liberally grease a 6 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- To make brownie layer, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot (or tapioca or oat flour), coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together fat of choice, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently mix together. Pour brownie mixture into the prepared springform pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 28-30 minutes, until center is almost set. The brownie layer will look puffy on the sides and sunken in the middle. Don’t worry. That’s normal. Take out of oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then with the back of a large spoon, press down the brownie layer into a thick even layer. Don’t be shy. Press it down firmly. Allow to cool completely on counter then place in freezer to harden for at least an hour.
- Remove first pint of ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for about 5 minutes. Scoop ice cream onto frozen brownie layer, pressing it down with back of large spoon into a firm, even layer. Return to freezer to harden for at least 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove second pint of ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for about 5 minutes. Scoop ice cream onto first frozen ice cream layer pressing it down with back of large spoon into a firm, even layer. Return to freezer to harden overnight (or at least 4 hours.)
- To assemble cake, remove springform pan from freezer and allow to soften for about 5 minutes. Gently remove outer ring of springform pan. If it is hard to remove, wait another minute or so to allow ice cream to soften a bit. Top with a fluffy layer of whipped cream, fresh blueberries, and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
Use any ice cream that makes you happy. Dairy free ice cream works great with this recipe.