Welcome to Real Food Books, where I share books that have inspired me on my journey to health. Today’s book was written for people like me. People who just don’t always make the time to sleep. And even when we do, it doesn’t always come easily. When I saw the cover of Emily Benfit’s book, The Sleep Solution, I knew I had to read it. I’ve been a fan of her site, Butter Believer, for years, and I know the quality of her work. And I know that sleep is the hardest thing for me to manage in my own life. Eating well and getting exercise has always come easy for me. Making sure that I get enough sleep is a different story. And it seems like the older I get, the less good quality sleep I get.
Do you have trouble falling or staying asleep?
This book was written for me. I have often said that getting enough sleep is my biggest barrier to sleep. I am pretty disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise, but making sure that I get enough quality sleep is a hard one for me. Granted, I have a toddler, but even when the joys of motherhood are not keeping me from my beauty rest, I usually find a way to sabotage myself. I loved this book. Some of the information I already knew, but it was great to hear it from someone else and to have it all put together in such a concise way. I also learned some new things from Emily. I now have a better understanding of why, even when I am dead tired, my body sometime just won’t sleep. I consider this a must-read for anyone with the occasional sleep disturbance, as well as anyone with more serious sleep issues.
The Sleep Solution E-Book
Emily Benfit’s book, The Sleep Solution is hands down the most comprehensive and enlightening book on sleep that I have read. Not only does she go through the scientific stuff that my brain want to know, she also gives some real-life suggestions and advice on how to improve your quality of sleep. The nutrition component is what most books on this topic lack. My favorite line in the whole book is: EAT. THE. CARBS.
What you will learn:
- All about the science of sleep and circadian rhythms
- The root causes of insomnia
- All about balanced nutrition for healthy sleeping patterns
- Supplements for better sleep and which ones to avoid
- How to create the perfect sleep environment and healthy sleep schedules and routines
- Includes recipes to support optimal sleep
- No amount of healthy eating will make up for not getting enough sleep. Adequate good quality sleep is crucial for good health and a strong immune system. It’s the first building block.
- Anyone who has had a couple nights of poor sleep can attest to the fact that it affects your mood, your brain function, and your over all well-being. Chronically-insufficient sleep can lead to long-term mood disorders, and has been linked to depression, anxiety, and mental distress. You just don’t function well without good sleep.
- Many of us are unknowingly doing things to sabotage our sleep, like exercising after 3pm.
- Learning how to balance your blood sugar level with every meal, with the right ratios and nutrients, will lower your stress hormones (the ones that disrupt your sleep) and nourish your metabolism so your hormones will function properly.
- Even if falling asleep isn’t a problem for you, you may be suffering from sleep maintenance insomnia. This happens when you wake up often during the night and do not feel rested the next day.
Did You Know?
- People who do not get enough sleep have a much harder time losing weight. Yes, poor sleep patterns may be making you fat.
- There is a strong correlation between poor sleep and both cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Low basal body temperature is by far the clearest indicator of lowered metabolism and low thyroid function (both of which negatively affect your ability to catch some zzzzzzz’s)
- Sleeping pills are not effective, and actually make the problem worse.
Like I said earlier, this is THE book on sleep. Emily has done the research for you. She gives good, practical advice on how to get your self onto the road to good sleep. A MUST-READ! Your health depends on it.
I’ve already started implementing some of the tips in this book and, amazingly enough, I am starting to sleep better through the night. Falling asleep is never a problem for me, unless I drink caffeine. But frequent night waking have been the norm for me. Learning about reducing my cortisol levels and making sure that I eat enough carbs has been a huge help. I hadn’t realized how I was sabotaging my sleep with some of my daily habits.
I hope that you check out Emily’s book. It has been a great resource for me. Here’s to long nights of deep sleep for us all.
Want to learn more about The Sleep Solution?
Emily Benfit from Butter Believer is a real food advocate. She is is a health researcher and writer who values eating healthy food that tastes good, food in its natural form, trusting that your body knows what it should eat, and making ethical food choices. Check out her site HERE.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.