The Best Crispy Waffle Recipe. A good waffle should be crispy. It should be light. And it should ooze with butter flavor. Gluten free. Nut free. Paleo.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine cassava flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, melted fat, and optional maple syrup. Once waffle iron is hot, add dry to wet and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Batter should be thick.
- Liberally brush melted butter/ghee on waffle maker. Scoop mixture onto hot waffle iron. I did about 1/2 cup per waffle. Each waffle maker will vary. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Feel free to use any milk that you like. If using full fat coconut milk, I would add an extra 2 tablespoons of water as it is very thick.
- If you don’t have milk, this recipe works just fine with water as well.
- Baking powders traditionally have GMO corn in them. You can find a corn free brand HERE, I prefer to make my own: 1 part baking soda, 2 parts cream of tartar, and 2 parts arrowroot powder.
- Don’t be tempted to take waffles off waffle iron too early, be sure to let them get nice and golden brown.