I love beets. I always have. My grandma used to serve pickled beets with dinner when I spent my summers in Finland visiting her every year. There is something earthy and sweet about them. I mostly like to roast them and serve them with a bit of coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar. But today, I made beet burgers. And because I have WAY too much basil growing in the backyard, I made Basil Beet Burgers.
Beets are not only beautiful to look at and tasty to eat, they also come with a wealth of health benefits as well. AWESOME! They are loaded with vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine; and folic acid. Beets are also an excellent source of instant energy, releasing the sugars slowly into your body to avoid the carb crash of simple carbs. They are considered an amazing liver tonic which aids in detoxifying the body and have been shown to protect against certain forms of cancer. Beets can also be considered an aphrodisiac due to the high amounts of boron, which is related to sex hormone production. (I never knew that. Bring on the beets!) (SOURCE)
The most interesting thing that I have learned about beets is that you can use beet juice as a test for low stomach acid. With indigestion and heartburn becoming a much more common problem, it’s a little known fact that most people suffer from too little stomach acid, not the other way around. Read more HERE about low stomach acid. The idea behind drinking beet juice is that if your urine is pink after consuming beets, it is a sign of low stomach acid. Anyone else have experience with this??
Now back to the beet burgers……..
I love these beet patties. I called them burgers because it sounded better than beet fritters. You can call them whatever you like. The basil compliments the sweet flavor of the beets. And the lemony garlic dipping sauce that I made was finger-licking good. I have made them both with almond meal and coconut flour. There isn’t much difference. ENJOY!!!
- 3 cups shredded beets (raw), washed and trimmed
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 eggs, beaten, preferably pastured
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt (I use this one)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (like this) OR 2 TBS coconut flour (like this)
FOR LEMON GARLIC AIOLI;
To Make Lemon Garlic Aioli:
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
To Make Beet Burgers:
- Finely chop onion and basil leaves and add to shredded beets.
- Add salt and eggs. Mix well.
- Add either almond flour or coconut flour. Mix to combine.
- Heat skillet over medium/high heat and cover bottom of pan liberally with fat of choice.
- Form small patties about 1/2 inch thick and drop into pan. Cook patties 3-4 minutes on one side, until crispy. Flip, and cook other side. (I like to press them down a bit to make sure they are not too thick. The center will not cook well if too thick.)
- Serve immediately with lemon garlic aioli.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.