- 12 chicken drumsticks
For the curry sauce
- 2 TBS coconut oil, ghee, or butter (where to get good quality fats)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric (like this)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (like this)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 4 TBS homemade bone broth (or water)
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 4 TBS full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- a nice handful of fresh cilantro (about a 1/4 cup)
- OPTIONAL]: 1/4 tsp of cayenne if you want to add a little heat
- Melt fat of choice in a skillet and saute onions for 5 minutes. Add cumin seeds and continue to cook until translucent and beginning to brown.
- Add cumin powder, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cinnamon, and cardamom to onions and saute for 2-3 minutes to bring out the flavor of the spices. If spices begin to stick, turn down heat and add a titch of fat. Remove from heat.
- Place tomato, coconut milk, , garlic, ginger, salt, and cilantro into a blender. Pour broth (or water) into skillet with onions and carefully scrape all of the onions and spices into blender as well. Puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, pour curry sauce over chicken drumstick and mix to thoroughly coat. Allow to marinade in fridge. I usually do mine overnight but at least a couple of hours. The longer the better.
- Preheat oven to 35o’F
- Bake marinaded chicken, COVERED, for 45 minutes, stirring the chicken half way through to evenly coat with curry sauce.
- Remove cover/foil and bake another 20-30 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through. Enjoy!