Having trouble sleeping? You are not alone. But I have some good news for you. Essential oils can help. Here’s a list of the best essential oils for sleep.
Did you know that you would die from sleep deprivation before you starved to death? It takes 2 weeks to die from starvation while 10 days without sleep would likely kill you.
More and more people are suffering from lack of sleep. Our hectic lifestyles, nutrient-poor diets, and over-stimulated brains keep us from getting the deep, nourishing rest that we need.
You absolutely cannot be healthy if you are not getting adequate sleep!
Getting enough sleep has been my biggest challenge in my journey to health. I have worked hard on figuring out how to get the rest that I need in order to be the healthiest that I can be. You may have seen my post on 8 Easy Steps to a Better Night’s Sleep. It covers many of the things that have worked for me.
How do I sleep now? Much better, thank you! I have my days when I struggle, but all in all, my quality of sleep is much better and deeper than before. And the most helpful thing for me has been essential oils.
I initially started using essential oils for non-toxic cleaning supplies and beauty products. Two of my favorites are my DIY Hydrating Face Oil and Anti-Aging Face Serum. I started using essential oils for stress and sleep as well. I have been super happy with the results.
Since most of us have trouble sleeping due to stress and/or over-stimulating, essential oils can be very effective for sleep. Essential oils are not drugs or medications. They help us by bringing our bodies back into balance and supporting our body systems.
What I have found is that each person has individual needs and you have to experiment to see which oils work best for you.
I find that Valerian and Valor work best for me. I alternate them. I also really like the Roman Chamomile.
For my little one, Peace and Calming has improved her quality of sleep tremendously. This the kid that used to wake up several times a night and have very fitful sleep. We alternate between diffusing Peace and Calming and rubbing it diluted on her feet. I can’t tell you what a relief for our family it has been that she is FINALLY sleeping better.
How to use essential oils for sleep
Essential oils can be used both topically and through inhalation to improve the quality of sleep.
- The easiest way to receive the benefits of essential oils is through diffusing them. I have a cute little home diffuser that came with my starter kit from Young Living Essential Oils. I also like THIS home diffuser. It disperses the essential oils molecules into the air and allows you to inhale them. The molecules of the essential oils are so small that they easily enter the olfactory nerves inside of your nose and into the limbic system, which is the seat of emotions in the body. Diffuse oils 30-60 minutes before bedtime.
- If you do not have a diffuser, you can place a drop or 2 of essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup them around your nose and inhale deeply. Do this for several minutes. I have found this an effective way to use many of my sleep oils.
- You can also rub 1-2 drops of essential oils on the bottoms of your feet, shoulders, back of your neck or stomach. I often use a bit of carrier oil like coconut or jojoba to help it spread.
- Mix 3-6 drops of essential oil with epsom salt or baking soda and add to a hot bath water while tub is filling. Soak in bath for 20-30 minutes.
- Rub 1-2 drops on the temples and back of neck several times a day.
- Place a warm compress with 1-2 drops of chosen oil on the back.
A word about quality
Please note that I am only talking about good quality essential oils. There is no standard for essential oils, and so many of the oils you find may be adulterated and can actually contain harmful ingredients.
My essential oil of choice is Young Living Essential Oils. They own their farms and they run a very tight supply chain. I trust their essential oils above all others because they are pure and unadulterated and are manufactured for therapeutic use not just for smell.
I am a wholesale member, meaning that I save 24% on all of my essential oils. Read more here about why I choose Young Living.
WANT TO LEARN MORE? Sign up for my FREE 10 Day Essential Oils E-Course. Get 10 lessons delivered right to your inbox. Sign up HERE.
9 Best Essential Oils for Sleep
calming to the nervous system and helps with restlessness
balances the nervous system and helps strengthen the body and mind; increases feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem; Can also be useful for snoring.
relaxes the nervous system and helps with overstimulation
4. Roman Chamomile:
has a warm, sweet, herbaceous scent that is relaxing and calming for both mind and body. Its gentleness makes it especially valuable for restless children.
very calming and can be good for anxious feelings
6. Peace and Calming:
promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace and emotional well-being: helps release negative emotions: wonderful for children
relaxing and soothing; allows the brain to stop processin
8. Stress Away:
brings feelings of peace and tranquility; helps to relive daily stress and anxious feelings; promotes relaxation; restores equilibrium
lifts the spirit while providing a calming influence on the body; brings peace and happiness to the mind. It is rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene and aids in maintaining normal cellular regeneration.
Sleepy Time Essential Oil Blend
- 12 drops Orange
- 8 drops Lavender
- 4 drops Cedarwood
- 3 drops Valerian
- 2 drops Roman Chamomile
Mix oils in a clean, glass essential oil bottle. Use in diffuser, inhale, topically, or in a warm bath mixed with epsom salt.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
photo credit: depositphotos @ pressmaster