OK, so we all know by now that taking care of the gut is important. And fermented foods are an easy way to do that. Need some inspiration? Here’s 85 easy ways to eat more fermented foods.
Did you know that almost 80% of your immune system stems form the gut? Yeah, that’s a lot. So what kind of shape do you think your immune system is in if your gut health is in the toilet? I’ve said it many times, and I will say it many times again: Good health starts in the gut.
Keeping your internal ecosystem healthy and balanced is essential for a strong immune system and vital living. Eating fermented foods is one of the easiest and most economical ways to improve your gut flora. Humans have been fermenting foods for ages. And you may be surprised how easy it is to do at home.
I get a lot of messages from readers telling me that fermenting foods is intimidating. And I get it. If you have never done it before, it can be a bit daunting. All I can say is that once you get started, you will see that it’s a lot easier than it seems and the possibilities are endless. You just have to jump in.
What we are talking about here are REAL fermented foods that are lacto-fermented, meaning that the starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic-acid-producing bacteria present on the surface of all living things. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. All you do is add SALT. Bacteria that could be harmful to us can’t tolerate much salt, but there are healthy bacteria that can. Lacto-fermentation wipes out the bad guys , then lets the good guys get to work . The product is a living food, full of enzymes and probiotics.
I have found that the best ferments come from a completely air-tight system. And the best one that I have found comes from Pickl-It.com.
They have a wide variety of sizes to choose from. I have the large 5 Liter jar for making sauerkraut. I also have several 1 Liter jars for making smaller condiments and for storing my krauts in the fridge. They are easy to use, completely air-tight, and come fitted with an airlock.
The airlocks allow for the CO2 created by the fermentation to be released but keeps oxygen out. This keeps the lactic-acid bacteria happy and healthy.
You can check them out HERE.
Use Coupon Code: KATJASALT to get a FREE 1/2 pound bag of premium sea salt with your Pickl-It order. ***Minimum purchase $50 and must contain jar(s) either singles or doubles. Please add the 1/2 lb bag of salt to the cart in order to receive free bag.
OK, what are you waiting for? Time to get fermenting. Here’s 85 easy and delicious fermented foods to get you started:
1. How to Make Water Kefir from Delicious Obsessions
2. Lacto-Fermented Blueberry Soda from Fearless Eating
3. Cultured Strawberry Soda from Holistic Squid
4. Fermented Lemonade from Mind Body Oasis
5. How to Make a Ginger Bug from Nourished Kitchen
6. Fermented Orange Juice from Oh Lardy
7. Lacto-Fermented Fruit Kvass from The Elliot Homestead
8. Fermented Tea from Mind Body Oasis
9. How to Make Kombucha from Phoenix Helix
10. Peach Kombucha from Hollywood Homestead
11. Strawberry Kombucha from Hollywood Homestead
12. Apricot Kombucha from Hollywood Homestead
13. How to Ferment Your Nettle Harvest from Delicious Obsessions
14. Fermented Asparagus from Mind Body Oasis
15. Fermented Pickles from Mind Body Oasis
16. Fermented Carrots from It’s a Love/Love Thing
17. Lacto-Fermented Red Onions from Delicious Obsessions
18. Fermented Garlic from The Sprouting Seed
19. Pickled Peppers from Mommypotamus
20. Lacto-Fermented Citrus Ginger Carrots from Delicious Obsessions
21. Easy Homemade Dill Pickles from Primally Inspired
22. Lacto-Fermented Garlic Pickles from Real Food Outlaws
23. Lacto-Fermented Curried Squash and Zucchini from Delicious Obsessions
24. Lacto-Fermented Summer Squash and Zucchini Pickles from Fearless Eating
25. Raw Brussels Sprout Kimchi from Jar of Honey
26. Dilly Carrots from Oh Lardy
27. Fermented Carrot Sticks from Real Food RN
28. Fermented Ginger Carrots from Stupid Easy Paleo
29. Indian-Spiced Lacto-Fermented Cauliflower from Delicious Obsessions
30. Fermented Carolina Coleslaw from Oh Lardy
31. Fermented Radishes from Mommypotamus
32. Fermented Mushrooms from Oh Lardy
33. Pickled Brussels Sprouts from Delicious Obsessions
34. Sweet and Sour Fermented Coleslaw from Homemade Mommy
35. Raw Kimchi Green Beans from Jar of Honey
36. Homemade Ginger Carrot Sauerkraut from Savory Lotus
37. Fido Fermented Sauerkraut from South Beach Primal
38. Fermented Curtido Sauerkraut from South Beach Primal
39. Lact0-Fermented Beet Ginger Sauerkraut from Delicious Obsessions
40. Homemade Sauerkraut from Hollywood Homestead
41. Simple Purple Sauerkraut from Homemade Mommy
42. How to Make Kimchi from Real Food Outlaws
43. Kimchi Recipe from Delicious Obsessions
44. How to Make Milk Kefir from Nourished Kitchen
45. How to Make Kefir from The Urban Ecolife
46. Homemade Creme Fraiche from Delicious Obsessions
47. Real Ranch Dressing from Homemade Mommy
48. European-Styled Cultured Butter from Delicious Obsessions
49. Homemade Cream Cheese from Delicious Obsessions
50. Raw Pumpkin Kefir Cheesecake from Homemade Mommy
51. Homemade Cottage Cheese from Homemade Mommy
52. Herbed Cashew Cheese from Savory Lotus
53. Coconut Milk Yogurt from Gutsy By Nature
54. How to Make Coconut Milk Yogurt from Tasty Yummies
55. Cashew Nut Yogurt from Delicious Obsessions
56. Coconut Milk Kefir from Homemade Mommy
57. Fermented Ketchup from Homemade Mommy
58. Easy Lacto-Fermented Ketchup from Girl Meets Nourishment
59. Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise from GNOWFGLINS
60. Whey Mayonnaise from Healthy Living How To
61. Homemade Garlic Chilli Mayonnaise from Economies of Kale
62. Fermented Mustard from Punk Domestics
63. Lacto-Fermented BBQ Sauce from An Organic Wife
64. Lacto-Fermented Cucumber Relish from Paleo Leap
65. Fermented Salsa from Tasty Yummies
66. Lacto-Fermented Green Tomato Salsa from Thank Your Body
67. Traditionally Fermented Horseradish from Paleo Leap
68. Homemade Pickled Ginger from The Nourishing Cook
69. Fermented Mango Salsa from Fearless Eating
70. Fermented Peach Chutney from Fearless Eating
71. Fermented Cranberry Sauce from Oh Lardy
72. Lacto-Fermented Pear Butter from Little Owl Crunchy Momma
73. Fermented Mixed-Berry Maple Syrup from Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
74. Lacto-Fermented Blood Orange Marmalade from Delicious Obsessions
OTHER COOL FERMENTED FOODS
75. Kombucha Popsicles from Hollywood Homestead
76. Lact0-Fermented Berries from Oh Lardy
77. Lacto-Fermented Apple Sauce from The Coconut Mama
78. Fermented Fruit Leathers from The Coconut Mama
79. Homemade Healthy Kombucha Fruit Snacks from Homemade Mommy
80. Paleo Fruity Kombucha Jello Bites from The Paleo Mama
81. Homemade Jello Fruit Cups from Homemade Mommy
82. Happy Belly Cheesecake from Savory Lotus
83. Fermented Eggs from Oh Lardy
84. Preserved Lemons from The Elliot Homestead
85. Fermented Fruits from Pickle Me Too
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Here’s a few posts I found that you may find helpful:
- Why Your Vegetable Ferment Grew Mold, What to Do about It, and How to Prevent It from Cultures for Health
- Lacto-Fermentation with Pictures from How We Flourish
- How to Ferment Vegetables from Running to the Kitchen
- Fermenting Methods from Delicious Obsessions
- How to Use a Fermenting Crock from Oh Lardy
- Vegetable Fermentation Further Simplified from Wild Fermentation
- Benefits of Fermented Foods from Oh Lardy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS:
Do you have a favorite fermented food recipe? I would love to hear about it in the comments!
photo credit: depositphoto @ wollertz
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.