A quick and easy 30 minute chicken soup – so creamy, cozy and comforting. Loaded with healthy vegetables and a vibrant lemon flavor. Gluten free, paleo, and dairy free.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cup good quality broth (vegetable, homemade bone broth or Kettle and Fire)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cups loosely packed kale, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt + pepper to taste
- lemon slices + fresh herbs to garnish (I used parsley)
- Heat fat of choice in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer until vegetables begin to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Then turn to low heat.
- Remove 1 and 1/2 cups of hot broth from soup pot and set aside. Then add chicken and kale into soup pot. Stir to combine.
- To make lemon egg broth, whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy, about 1 minute. Continue whisking and SLOWLY pour the reserved hot broth into the whisked eggs to temper them so they do not curdle once added to hot soup. Continue whisking and add lemon juice.
- Slowly stir lemon egg broth back into the soup pot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more , but do not let it come to a boil.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add thin slices of lemon + fresh herbs like parsley, dill, or basil. Enjoy!
Be sure to temper the eggs with the hot broth before adding to the soup to keep it from curdling.
Do not bring soup back to a boil after adding the lemon egg broth.