Just because you want to eat healthy doesn’t mean you can’t have comfort foods. My teenager said to me last week, “I am really craving lasagna.” I haven’t made lasagna for our family in years. And because my oldest daughter seems to have issues digesting gluten, I decided to make a healthy alternative to lasagna. It’s fast, easy, and REALLY good.
I’m a busy mom with an active toddler and a teenager to take care of. I love to be in the kitchen, but some nights I just want to make an easy meal. These grain-free spaghetti boats were a huge hit at my house, and they didn’t require a lot of effort. You can cook the spaghetti squash ahead of time and have a quick, healthy meal in no time for dinner. Just add a salad or veggies on the side and you have a happy, full family.
This recipe is both toddler and teenager approved!!!! There were definitely NO leftovers from this meal……..
- 2 medium sized spaghetti Squash
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce/marinara
- 1 LB ground turkey
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini (chopped into ¼ inch pieces)
- 1 cup kale, spinach, or chard (finely chopped)
- Cook spaghetti squash until tender. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and cook in crock pot on high for 2-2.5 hours with about an inch of water in the bottom. Comes out perfect. OR Bake squash halves skin side up in shallow baking dish for 40 minutes in preheated 375′F oven (or until pierced easily with a fork)
- When cool enough to handle, scoop the seeds from the center of the cooked spaghetti squash and discard. Set aside.
- Brown ground turkey in a medium pan
- Add zucchini and greens
- Add tomato sauce
- Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- With a fork, gently scrap the strands of the squash into the tomato/veggie mixture and mix thoroughly
- Fill all 4 spaghetti squash shells with the mixture
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Bake for 25 minutes on 375' F until cheese is melted and starting to brown
BROWN THE MEAT AND ADD VEGGIES AND SAUCE
ADD SQUASH AND FILL THE BOATS. SPRINKLE WITH CHEESE.
BAKE AT 375′ F FOR 25 MINUTES AND ENJOY!!
What’s you family’s favorite comfort meal????
This recipe shared at the following food link ups. Check them out for more tasty recipes and healthy living tips: