Are you one of those people who loves hot weather? Do you wish it was summer all of the time? I definitely do. You would never know that I am from Finland because I really don’t care for cold weather. I feel tight, contracted, and uncomfortable when it is cold. Granted, it is good to learn to accept all conditions in life in order to have peace of mind, but I would be perfectly content to be warm ALL year round. So, when I saw the first organic, semi-local (California) strawberries at the market, I started dreaming of summer.
And then I made these……
The recipe was adapted from 2 of amazing food blogs, Elana’s Pantry and Oh She Glows. Thanks, ladies for the inspiration. They were simple to make and super tasty. Gluten and Grain-free, vegan, Paleo, and refined sugar-free. And loaded with oh-so-good-for-you chia seeds. THIS is the brand of chis seeds I prefer. I used pecans for the topping , but walnuts would work just fine. I used maple syrup for the sweetener , but honey works well too. The strawberry filling can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to use. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. The entire tray disappeared in 2 days. (Um, yeah….I had a few) Can’t wait for blueberries to come in so I can make blueberry chia bars…..
- FILLING :
- 2½ cups fresh strawberries, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 3 TBS pure maple syrup OR honey
- 1½ TBS chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- CRUST :
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1 TBS water
- ¼ tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- TOPPING :
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts)
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 TBS coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 TBS sesame seeds, raw
- Preheat oven to 350' F and line 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper
- To make filling: place chopped strawberries and sweetener into medium pot and begin to heat on medium. Once strawberries begin to sweat a bit, add chia seeds and vanilla.
- Bring to boil then simmer on med-low for about 15 minutes
- Remove from heat, pour into glass bowl, and place in freezer to cool for 30 minutes
- To make crust: place all crust ingredients into food processor and process until well incorporated and beginning to stick together. Press mixture firmly into lined pan and bake for 14 minutes on 350'. Remove from heat and let cool 20 minutes
- To make topping: place all topping ingredients, except sesame seeds, into food processor and pulse until well combined and forms a coarse texture. Add sesame seeds and pulse to combine a couple of times
- To assemble bars: pour strawberry filling over cooled crust and spread evenly. Crumble topping over the filling and LIGHTLY press it down
- Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350' ( or until topping slightly beginning to brown)
- Cool for 10 minutes then place in fridge for AT LEAST 2 hours to set
- Once completely cooled and set, slice into bars
Chop and cook strawberries:
Make and bake crust:
Bake and ENJOY!!
This is the brand of chis seeds that I use:
Do you have a dessert that reminds you of summer????
This recipe has been shared at the following food link ups. Click images to see more tasty recipes and healthy living tips….